Raid Leaders often take for granted that everyone understands raiding like they do. What they forget is that “once upon a time”, they were just as ignorant…
The Gear Question
How often have you seen the following question?
- [Guild] [Member 1]: hey guys which is better? [Item #1] [Item #2]
That’s a pretty loaded question. In some cases, it’s pretty clear cut what the answer is. Other times not so much.
The problem you create when asking this question is your Raid Leaders begin to believe that you do not know how to play your toon.
Well Ky, that’s not fair! It’s an honest and legitimate question!
Yes it is, but you asked the wrong question.
Breaking Down The Question
Let’s make some assumptions. In fact, let’s tell you what happened to me a couple of nights ago.
Let’s assume that [Item #1] is Fiery Obelisk Handguards which are mail gloves I am currently wearing. Let’s assume [Item #2] is Heroes’ Redemption Gloves which are T7 plate gloves. Let’s assume that the token for these dropped last night in Obsidian Sanctum and I received them by default as I was the only one that could use them. We’re doing a lot of assuming here. 😉
At first glance, it looks like the T7 would be better. Come on it’s plate! It’s T7!! It’s better!!! But last night when I went to turn my token in I actually thought they might not be, so I logged out because it was almost midnight and I needed to get to bed. So let’s take a closer look now:
- It’s plate!!! I’m a pally and wearing mail, I feel naked! Pretty stupid reason to select gear.
- The Armor goes up from 784 to 1401 which is a great bonus! But as a healer I should hopefully be avoiding getting hit by mobs anyway, so it’s really not something I should be looking at except as a bonus, at least in most situations.
- Stamina goes down from 54 to 49. Stamina is important, but all my gear will give me some and 50 health probably isn’t going to keep me from dying, except maybe in a few particular boss fights.
- Intellect goes up from 49 to 51. Minor increase, but I’ll take it.
- Crit goes down from 66 to 48. That’s really not good!
- Spellpower goes down from 77 to 68. That’s not good.
- Gain of 30 haste. Score!
So overall it appears that I’m losing more than I’m gaining. At a quick glance the T7 isn’t looking so promising anymore. So let’s go back to the scenario:
- [Guild] [Kyrilean]: hey guys which is better? [Fiery Obelisk Handguards] [Heroes’ Redemption Gloves]
Come on, give me an answer.
Ask The Right Gear Question
The question isn’t which is better. The question is which is better for me based on where my stats are now. Can I afford to lose the 9 Spellpower and the 18 crit to gain 30 Haste and 2 Intellect? Where are my spellpower and crit at now? What content are we currently doing and how will it be affected? Once I can answer all of these questions it becomes easier to answer.
Now the question to ask is:
- [Guild] [Kyrilean]: hey guys my spellpower is at 1800 and my crit is at 32% with [Fiery Obelisk Handguards] are [Heroes’ Redemption Gloves] better?
Even if someone doesn’t know how to play your toon, they can probably give a fair guesstimate that I can afford to sacrifice some points in crit and spellpower for the haste, but even then only I can answer whether I’m having trouble getting my heals off in time. Besides which we didn’t even address the gem issue which might take away some of that anyway.
For argument’s sake, let’s say I gem the gloves to negate any crit loss which is extremely important to me. Now which is better? In my opinion, the T7 gloves. I’ll sacrifice the spellpower as I’m comfortable where mine is to get the haste with no loss to crit.
You should see my point though. Ask your question in such a way that it presents enough information to the parties you are asking so that they in turn can give you an informed answer. Besides, it makes you look smarter. 🙂
FYI: Ratingbuster is an addon ever raider should have.