Why are we attracted to guilds?
This is a question that cropped up in my mind today after making a decision about whether or not to leave my guild.
If you’ve been following my blog over the last few weeks, I’ve talked a little bit about my frustrations with my guild and potentially looking at a server transfer. Several times I decided to bite the bullet and go through with it and yet as I logged on I found myself unable to /gquit, even as the frustration continued to build.
- Jiminy: It’s because you feel like you’re betraying your friends.
- Me: But am I not also betraying myself by being miserable and betraying the guild by being unavailable* for raids?
- Jiminy: Yup, but you’re afraid the guilt you’ll feel after leaving will be worse than the guilt you feel now.
- Me: Well, that’s not fair. /sulks
- Jiminy: Just remember that no one’s irreplaceable and they’ll get along without you just fine.
- Me: OK, I’m going to quit. I want to not dread raiding again and it isn’t fair to them that I’m online, but not available.
So I bit the bullet last night and decided to announce I was quitting in our Officer Meeting. I wanted them to understand exactly why I was quitting and leave on a good note. However, things went a different way and a plan was devised to make some things better***. (As it turns out I’m not the only Officer that’s burned out.)
Several Officers expressed their hope that I’d stay in the guild. During our Guild Meeting it was also expressed by some of the Guild Members. This made me feel good, as it would anyone. We all want to belong, whether it’s as the elite raider, the guy with vast WoW knowledge**, the funny guy, the well-respected leader, the nice guy, or whatever other role that makes us feel like we belong.
So it occurred to me that maybe guilds aren’t attractive because of raiding, socializing, leveling, pvp’ing, or whatever the guild does, but rather they’re attractive because “sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name and they’re always glad you came”. Guilds are attractive because we’re all looking for a place to call home.
* I’ve been purposely not signing up for raids for the past two weeks.
** Not me by the way. I screw up my UI at least weekly and can’t remember the names of 90% of my spells. 🙂
*** I suppose the worst case scenario is that it doesn’t get better and I bite the bullet. I’m just tired of worrying and writing about it as much as you are of probably reading about it. Sorry Amber, still holding you guys on the backburner.
Filed under: Guild |