There’s a lot of complaints about GearScore lately. And I’m one of the many sounding off.
So the other day (apparently Tuesday per Amber’s post) I was talking to Amber…
- Amber: Kyyyyyy. I need to learn to be mean to some of our guildies.
me: pretend they’re me
Amber: but I like you even if I’m mean to you
me: are you saying you don’t like them and you want to be mean to them?
Amber: …some of them, maybe
or that I like them LESS
me: anyway. elaborate. let uncle ky make it all better. (lmao i can’t even type that with a straight face)
Amber: [name #1 redacted]…
[name #2 redacted]…
[name #3 redacted] bitching about what we “allow” in raids without, you know, helping me form them
me: well i finally called out [name of one of the aforementioned redacted of course] in an offhand way.
see: my post today about fucking gearscore
…while I’m reading Amber’s post…
*Regarding the gearscore comment: what happened was we were in a raid with a pug the other night that kept bringing up gearscore. As you know whenever anyone starts discussing gearscore I start to get really annoyed. It isn’t because gearscore is a bad thing, it’s because PEOPLE ARE F%*&^ING IDIOTS!!!
So I made a comment about gearscore in guild chat to which one member not in raid said he’s only said it a couple of times. My response was that he does it all the time, said I was talking about a pug, and casually changed the conversation elsewhere. 😛
…after reading Amber’s post…
I laughed (albeit in a frustrated way) and agreed along with the rest of you, but an evil plan began to hatch in my twisted little mind.
…back to my conversation with Amber…
- me: you know. that gives me an idea…
me: i should gear up my dk in spellpower plate and attempt to join pugs demanding gear score requirements
So begins my new experiment, but I’m gonna need some help…
So I posted this
little drawn-out ditty on our guild forums.
- I’d like to conduct an experiment, although it’ll take some time to set up.
- We all know what GearScore is, or at least we’ve all seen it spammed in Trade Chat. It’s a horrible, horrible tool because of the way it is used.
- GearScore doesn’t mean crap if you can’t hold aggro, keep smart players (i.e. ones that run out of the fire) alive, or do appropriate dps for your gear level. Sorry 3k dps isn’t going to cut it in ICC. So if you can’t break that you either don’t have the gear or you need to practice your class. (Actually you probably need to break that by a lot more than 3000.)
- GearScore annoys me. A lot. There are those in this guild that constantly e-peen their score (among other things like crit, spellpower, stam, health, etc.) and it annoys me. No offense. I am sincerely happy for you, but I don’t care. Really. I couldn’t give a rat’s ass if your gear score is 6000 any more than I care if it’s 2. I’m a hell of a lot more interested in the new rare pet you found than your gear.
- I am really happy that you got that upgrade, but when you link it in guild and I have no idea what you currently have, it doesn’t mean jack shit to me (this includes healers). I’m happy for you, but again I don’t care.
- What I do care about is can you pull your weight in whatever raid we’re currently doing and if not is there a way I can help? (Probably not as I barely know my own healing classes.) Also as a healer, can I keep you alive? No offense, but some of you tanks take massive spike damage at the weirdest ass times and I don’t know why as I’ve seen your stats and they’re no better or worse than Mach’s or Zoja’s. So it’s either you or me and I’m working on figuring out how to compensate for whatever the difference is.
- That said, I’m not saying to stop linking your gear as that’s your own deal and I’ll just ignore it. But I am saying if you’re looking for a pat on the back, gratz, or praise don’t expect it from me. And please don’t take offense if I don’t respond. Just realize that I am happy for you.
- The Experiment
- So now that I’ve offended all of you, I’d like to ask a favor.
- I have 5 level 80s, but only one of which can make this experiment work because of gear itemization. Paladins, Priests, Shaman, and Druids all have a spec that makes all gear itemizations of their appropriate armor types viable based on spec. My DK however does not. It is my intent to gear up my DK with a high gear score in spellpower plate and then attempt to get into PuG raids where the idiot raid leaders are spamming the glories of gearscore.
- The problem with emblems is I don’t think I’ll be able to get spellpower plate on my DK. Maybe a belt, but not the main items. So I’d like to farm heroics to gear up enough to be able to do the new 5-mans and maybe ToC on my DK to get spellpower plate gear and I don’t think PuGs will be too happy with me rolling Need on spellpower plate that they want disenchanted and that’s where I’d like to recruit willing guildies that will allow me to ninja the spellpower plate.
- Because we raid during the week, this will probably have to occur on weekends. If you’d be willing to help out, leave a note and I’ll know to approach you guys. Again, I still need to do some research to find where the drops are and I need to gear up before I can do the new 5-mans anyway.
- And if this turns out to be too hard, or I can’t get my gearscore up high enough in 5-mans, etc. then I may just scrap the idea.
A few of my guildies responded and are fully on board with this plan. So it looks like I’ll have enough help to get this done. I just need to figure out a gear plan in order to maximize my time because in reality this experiment is…well to put it bluntly…completely asinine! I admit it, it’s a dick thing to do! But I’m only trying to get invited to a raid. I have no intention of staying. I’ll just finish being a jerk by spamming congratulations to the RL for inviting a DK in spellpower gear just to prove a point.
Let’s take a moment as I bask in the glory of my original idea…
Oh wait. Unfortunately on Wednesday I found this excellent post by Beruthiel where apparently…
- …one of our officers was telling me that he was in a group the other day with a DK in full epic healing plate. But…his gearcore ROCKED!
I guess I’m not that original. But I’m still going to do it! 😉